Thursday, May 13, 2010

It has finally become reality...

Emotions are high today as we embark on our long awaited journey to get the boys. As we were waiting at the Delta counter to be checked in, I found myself welling up with tears of joy. I felt like I needed to pinch myself. Is it a dream like so many I have had before? No, today is the real deal, and it made me cry.

Our only son Parker has been asking me every day for three months straight, "Are we going to Ukraine to get my brothers today Mom?" To which I would reply, "Not today buddy, but soon, very soon I hope". It was SO surreal and amazing to be able to shout out with joy this morning at 4 am that YES YES YES Park, TODAY IS THE DAY!! Get showered and get dressed, we've got a plane to catch!!

I am on cloud nine after speaking with the Hinkson's this am. They always uplift me. They shared good news and put me at ease about some things (going through customs). They then proceeded to amaze and shock and embarrass me all at the same time by telling me that they only brought a couple of carry on bags for the whole trip!! WOW, how cool and simple are they? They didn't check a single bag, and we are lugging everything but the kitchen sink (almost literally). Well, what can I say? I will continue to learn from this wonderful family and take pointers from them along the way.

I will hopefully learn to live more simply as the children in the orphanage do. There is much to learn from them: they are survivalists who are not picky, and can make do with what they have and still have a positive outlook on life. I will only need to see their faces and feel their hugs to be happy. This is what we are going for, and this will be one of the biggest joys in our lives. The great thing is, that we will share this experience together as a family and it will be extraordinary!

4 comments:

  1. Ohh...I got tingles just reading your post!! I am so excited for you and I hope you'll post TONS! (I'm a blog Ukraine adoption junkie...is there a six step program for that?)
    You are probably in the air and will not see these comments for 24 hours but I hope your flights went well and that all your luggage makes it with you!
    I brought everything too! I can't believe that the Hinkson's only brought carry on's. Amazing.
    I'll be watching/stalking your blog!
    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! On your way...we will be following you as closely as the Hinkson family. We wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I got to talk to you at lunch. Now I can put your face with your blog. I'm so excited for you. It will be an unforgettable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to wish you luck too. Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete