Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's getting better all the time...better, better, betterrrr..

So yesterday was actually a pleasant experience. We were desperate to leave the apartment (before we went crazy) and we REALLY needed some groceries, so we set out to find a market we had quickly seen the first day. When we went in it was a HUGE relief because it was a normal grocery store (things on shelves instead of behind a counter), and the woman actually smiled at us and helped us after she heard us speak English!!! First time ever! Of course she was trying very hard to sell us the entire store (expensive Russian caviar and all). haha But I stuck to my guns, got what we needed, and moved on. I felt empowered! I actually sang a little song and was really overreacting at such a small feat, but it was great to feel like we had found a "friendly" place.

We then took Parker to McDonald's like we had promised. That was amazing as well. The people really love to hang out there and it is the most happenin place in town. You really have to fight to sit down. We managed to get a seat and Dean got up to get ketchup, when one of the policemen who seemed to be a bit drunk, started harrassing some poor girl sitting alone. She looked scared out of her mind and spoke to him a bit then left as soon as she had the chance. He then proceeded to take a seat next to us. I told Parker not to speak and we got up and made a break for it! I just had a feeling he was up to no good and if he found out we were American, who know?

We then went to the underground mall. I like it very much because it seems kind of normal. There are security guards everywhere and we got to see three different people get manhandled out of the door just while having gelato at the coffee bar. Pretty entertaining!

I cooked for the first time last night. A little breakfast for dinner: fried eggs and toast, yogurt, fruit, and then some top ramen! Haha what a menu huh? Oh well, it was good.

This experience is turning out to be so great for our family. It is bringing us closer to each other. We are spending more time together because we absolutely must stick together at all times, and I enjoy it very much. My husband and son are the most kind, non-judgemental, loving and accepting guys on earth. I am so grateful to them for making this so easy. Their hearts are pure gold. They never complain and are so easy to travel with. I am blessed.

I absolutely CAN'T WAIT to see the boys. I am so happy to see the pictures that you have been posting Christy! Thank you for talking to them and letting them know more about us. I am very happy to hear that they are excited! They are adorable and I just need to give them hugs! I was confused, however, by your comment that you saw Andre in the hall with a sling on. Did they not put him back in re-hab? Is he still there in the orphanage? Please let me know, as this is different than what we were told.

So today we will be going on a walking (phew) tour of Kiev with Oxana the translator. She is new and works for Irina now. She will accompany us the entire time to Dnipro. I absolutely love her personality and her professionalism. She is also very sweet with Parker, and has worked extensively with children as a nanny. I think this is a good fit for her, but I am worried about her leaving her husband for a month. She seems to be excited about it so that is great. We will take lots of pictures of the Ukrainian baroque architecture and get some exercise. Should be good!

Much love,
Sonya

8 comments:

  1. I loved your store experience and your dinner. It made me laugh. Having a good translator makes all the difference. Glad to hear things are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blast! I'm so excited for youto see your boys! How cool it is that you could all go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow is the big day. We can hardly wait to hear all about it and see the pictures. I am sure they are as nervous as ever. It won't take long for them to realize what a great family they are getting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't see anyone get frisked but we got in trouble for trying to take pictures in a store. (Don't try it-they get really mad!) James was more apprehensive of the heightened security. I was pretty oblivious to it, I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong so why would they bother me? It just irritated James as he felt like a suspect or something.
    I am so glad you've got a translator you like, it will make all the difference.
    Enjoy your sight seeing! And good luck at the SDA! (The best shopping is right down the street from the SDA-do NOT pay retail-they drive a hard bargain with American's-just walk off if they won't budge on price-then they will!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. I am so happy to be able to keep up with what you all are doing and can't wait to see and hear all about it! Much love to you, Dean and Park!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heard you got a court date and maybe have internet access. This means we expect to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard the same rumor....1/2 way across the world. Imagine that.
    Saw cute pictures of you on Christy's blog. Just want to get your take on things and make sure you're okay....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, your boys are doing great in your care. I was wondering if you by chance saw little girl they tagged on Reeces Rainbow as Lilianna. She is almost 2 years old with blue eyes. If you might've seen her I would appreciate anything you may remember about her. Thank you. Rosie.

    ReplyDelete