Saturday, May 15, 2010

Waiting...waiting...anticipating...

Well, another day in Kiev checked off the list. Today we braved it sans interpreter. Boy did we miss her!

There was a massive concert/party in the square today. Large amounts of the scantily dressed ladies and a lot of energy in the air. Many of the men had the Ukraine flag painted on their face.

I was a bit weary of going out of the apartment after literally being bumped by a man's car bumper, ON PURPOSE! Yes that is right, we were walking back from exchanging some currency with our translator yesterday, and were crossing a sidestreet. A taxi stopped for the woman in front of us, and we quickly walked behind her. He then decided it would be funny to nudge me with his bumper and laugh and laugh in delight! I had Parker and Dean on the right side of me thank goodness. WHAT A JERK!! It was at this moment I really had to consciously stop and realize that I could not show a reaction at all. I leapt forward and did not say one word to him, just bit my tongue. I couldn't help to imagine what a different reaction I may have had in the safety of the United States, but here is different. I would not dare cause a scene here. Thankfully no one was hurt.

We are excited to go sightseeing with our translator tomorrow and hopefully get some groceries. I am amazed that they charge you for the plastice bags for everything here. People buy loaves of bread and don't buy a bag to put it in. They carry it in their bare hands with their cigarettes, yuck! My germaphobic tendencies have really been tested here and I am realizing that I must settle down with that whole thing. This is just the way it is (but I am SO glad I packed lots of sanitizing stuff!)

We are VERY anxious to move forward to Dniprodzerzhinsk and see the kiddos. Our SDA appt is on Tues. morning and we will leave that night on the train.

Apparently we will be staying on the notary and business side of the river rather than the orphanage side. This is fine with me because I have been told it will be more comfortable with a safer environment. I would probably agree to rough it a bit more and save some money if Parker were not with us. I feel less daring traveling with the little one, plus we will be able to see Andre more often.

It seems I am able to get a better internet connection at night. I am so happy to see Christy's posts and find out that they are letting them take the kids to ice cream and on outings even before court!

I can't wait to give hugs and love to Igor and Andre. I keep dreaming about this and waking up thinking it is real. Not too far away now. We can't wait!

Much love to you all.
Sonya

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you made it and that you're relatively safe. I can't believe you were bumped by a CAR! Good grief!
    Yeah, that germ thing, it's a bit to get over isn't it?
    Hope sight seeing goes great! Are you going to see the dead monks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you are safely there. If you need a fun activity for your son, the zoo was pretty entertaining. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are less germs in Dnepro you know. Once you jump off that train (Literally) you will be able to breath the nice country air and know you are in God's country (JK kinda) If they don't send us back to Kiev, we will try to meet you at the station and help get your bags off the train (in the 3 minutes they give you) We have to go back to the SDA again and so I hope that we don't cross paths (or train tracks) in the night. It IS really beautiful here (true story.) and the boys can't wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made it! The first few days are the worst. You will be surprised how fast you get used to all the craziness. I remember the first days I was in Kiev. I wondered what in the world I was doing and I didn't think I would survive. I remember the huge relief I felt when I first say Wendy at the orphanage. Things got much better after that. I am sure you will feel the same way when you first see the Hinksons. Isn't it an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete