Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting Internet hasn't been so easy...

I am rather bummed that A: I haven't had a good internet connection and B: Even if I had, I wouldn't have had time to blog. We have been running like crazy since we did the death jump from the train to the platform in Dniprodzerzhinsk. I have never pushed my physical limits like the first couple of days here. To make things even more fun, I got the 24hr. flu and Dean and I have both had severe stomach issues. I use to call it "Mexico stomach" but now I am re-naming it "Dnipro stomach".

Despite all of the fun mentioned above, our boys keep our hearts singing. Sweet Andre is getting better and better each day. We take him lunch and dinner every day and bribe the nurses to let us deliver it to his room (this way we can watch him eat it). It breaks my heart when I have to leave him in that horrific place, and I have no say at all about it. He told me that when we leave and he goes to bed, they come in and lift up his mattress, open his little cupboard, and rifle through EVERY single bag and even in his pillow case. They have stolen his money, popcorn, pizza and toys. I can't put words to what I feel toward these women. I am shocked and amazed that they would even fool themselves that this is a place of "healing".

We love Andre and are grateful that he is such a tough little guy. He needs to be to get through the next couple of weeks. We will continue to see him several times a day, but it is hard because the hospital is on one side of the river, and the orphanage is on the other.

Igor is equally as amazing and tough and awesome. He is shy but very loving. I can tell that there is a lot of peer pressure from the older boys to pay them off, so yesterday I had the translator tell them to lay off Igor and I would buy them some candy and gum and goodies. They are all in my heart. I feel so devastated when they swarm us and beg to come to America with us. I am always tearing up when our car leaves the orphanage. I can't wait to get the boys home to our apartment!!

The apartment is as good as it gets here I think. No one has ever heard of a dryer, and the clothes are starting to get that oh so fresh hint of mold. I will be SO GLAD to get home. We really don't like it here. I feel weird saying that, as I try to be optimistic about all situations, but I just can't help always feeling like I want home, so much. Not one person has smiled at us (unless they work for us). I can just imagine a realtor selling our apartment, " And if you step out onto the crumbling balcony here, you will see your lovely view of the humongous statue of Vladimir Lenin." Just gives you the warm fuzzies doesn't it?

Anyway, we will survive this. Oksana is wonderful and all business is getting done as quickly as possible. We have a nice driver named Nicolai who is friendly and laughs at how many groceries we buy (which isn't that much!) Our beautiful son Parker is so sweet and never complains and is the best little boy in such a strange situation.

We are heading out to the hospital now to take Andre lunch. I will try to post some pics, but I think Christy posted some of the hospital which will terrify anyone. Take a look. Otherwise, Andre gets his cast off his broken arm today, Yay!

Much Love,
The Corbetts

6 comments:

  1. The ties that bind your growing family get stronger with each passing moment. Bless all of you, that you stay safe and strong until you can come back to the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so glad you're okay. I had heard you were sick, how horrid the hospital is and I just wanted to know you were safe and okay.
    I am so glad the boys are bonding and happy and excited to go home.
    OF COURSE you want to go home!! You did not got to Ukraine to vacation. (Honestly, would you go back there for a vacation....NO!) You came to complete your family and the faster you get out of there and get them in a safe, loving environment the better! Don't feel guilty about wanting to be home. Good grief!
    I'm so glad you had a minute to post-I'm sure you're crazy busy going back and forth between the orphanage and hospital. I bet that's better than sitting twiddling your thumbs-like most of us.
    Hope both your tummy's feel better soon!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are already such wonderful parents. Bringing him lunch and dinner every day? Wow, you've got so much love. It's interesting how much emotion builds up in your hearts before you even get to Ukraine, after you've worked SO hard to get there. So in your mind, those boys are already yours and you are treating them as such. It breaks our hearts to see the condition of the hospital (pics from Hinkson's blog), then to hear about the so-called nurses that steal his things. One thing you might have noticed is if you are adopting and from the US, you are 'rich Americana', and are treated as such a lot of the time. I can't help but think that those workers have the attitude that Andrew's rich American parents will just bring more stuff if they take his things. Never mind that stealing is wrong!! As you know, you do an awful lot of bribing in Ukraine, which is essentially stealing. The attitude is that 'rich Americans' can handle it somehow. In their minds that justifies their behavior. It's pretty sick, and between yours and Hinkson's blogs, that is the biggest thing that I am NOT looking forward to when we go back! In reality, it makes you wonder if just anyone could come into one of these orphanages with enough money and 'buy' a child, no matter who you are.

    Anyways, I digress. It was SO good to hear from you know that you are doing as well as you can. You are fortunate to have the opportunity to adopt these 2 boys. They are so handsome and seem to have such a bright outlook once they get here to America in your family. Just keep a smile on and remember that soon you will be back here, in a real home, in a real bed, with real food, with neighbors that won't sneak in and steal your stuff. :) God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonya,

    I laughed my head off at the crmbly balcony and statue of Lenin comment. How funny. How did the cast removal go? I hope all the kids are doing well. If you see our boys, tell them we are trying to get back there ASAP. As you talk about going from the orphange to the lovely hospital, I have to really take my hat off to the people like Andreas who would actually do this all over again..... ON PURPOSE!!!! amazing, amazing amazing. I hope that I grow up to be that good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Day you posted. It is good to hear from you. That is horrible about the people at the hospital. Doesn't it just make you mad. I am sorry you guys have been so sick. That surely doesn't help. Know we are here at home thinking about you and hoping you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that the cast was removed and he had one deep gash wound that was infected between his thumb and forefinger (hands were never washed in hospital, no soap, no toilet paper, no towels). I have since gotten that infected cut almost healed. His upper arm was worn raw from the top of the cast cutting into it, so Dean brought some scissors from home and we cut part of the cast away and started healing that wound at the hospital. What a horrifying place that was!

    We have also started feeling better ourselves and I kid you not, I think its because we don't have to go back there several times a day!

    Anyway, thanks for the well wishes and support. We need them! Much love!

    ReplyDelete